The El Camino Real (The Royal Road) was a historical trading route dating from the early 1600′s. Originating in the Mexican city of Vera Cruz and winding north through Zacatecas, Chihuahua and El Paso, the road followed the Rio Grande, ending finally in Taos, New Mexico.
The El Camino Real International Heritage Center is located thirty miles south of Socorro New Mexico at a remote site along the historic trail. The center commemorates the heritage of the antiquated road that connected Mexico City with Santa Fe, in the region once known as New Spain.
In 2005, Allegretti participated as project architect on a team that designed and administered construction of a complex exhibit for the El Camino Real Museum. The two-story installation covers19,000 square-feet. This interpretive landscape was created within an existing building. Visitors encounter reproductions of the landmarks which marked the journey of early colonists. The exhibit was funded through the New Mexico Cultural Affairs Division and was dedicated in November of 2005. The El Camino Real Exhibit was built by ESA Construction of Albuquerque, New Mexico.
Return to the home page for Allegreti Architects in Santa Fe, New Mexico; creating elegant regional architecture for twenty years.